Evan Jonathan Thurmond
February 20, 2012
Born at 2:22
Weight: 9 lbs 2 oz
Height: 21 in.
Since the little one in my belly didn't seem to keep on coming out unassisted we scheduled an induction for a few days after his due date. So although I didn't really want to be induced, Jon and I went in on Sunday night to start the process. Thankfully though when I was hooked up to the monitors I was already having contractions 4 minutes apart. However, since this had been going on for about 3 weeks I assured everyone that this was normal, I was not in labor and they would certainly taper off at some point. But since I was already contracting there was no need for meds so Jon and I just laid back, relaxed, watched a movie and enjoyed a kid free evening :) At about 11, the contractions started picking up a little bit, got closer together and became more painful...I'm sure I have never been more excited to be in pain. I was so thankful that my body was finally getting its act together and working on getting the baby out without needing to be induced. So I got an epidural, rested all night and by morning was ready to have the baby. Unfortunately, little Evan (or Julia...we didn't know if we were having a girl or boy) had other plans. After a few hours of trying different positions, moving around, and then an hour of pushing with doctor trying to turn the baby, we had made no progress. The doctor was very supportive, gave me my options and Jon and I decided that since we had already been at this for 4 hours we should opt for the c-section. It was a hard decision to make, however, not one that I regret...I know our bodies are made to birth babies, but I'm not sure mine was made to birth babies this large :) Here are a few more pics of the big event. We are so excited that our new little man is here!
Standard c-section pic :)
Proof that he was huge
Proof that I tried to push him out (notice the elongated/cone look his head has)
Proud big brother!
Proud Daddy
Proud Mama

Congratulations Thurmond Family! Your birth story sounds a lot like mine with Landon. I went to the hospital to be induced, but thankfully, was in labor by the time I got signed in and hooked up to monitors. And, given the fact that my 5'10 man sized body :) has trouble giving birth to 9 lb. babies, I can only imagine how your petite little body feels. I'm sure it was a tough decision, but thank God for doctors who are there to make that decision quickly, safely, and ultimately for the best. I hope everything is going well at home. He's so cute! We'd love to bring you a meal, I'll text Jon in a week or so. Congrats again, the Syers Fam.
ReplyDeleteBTW Jon, is that a new camera? Do you love it?
ReplyDeleteYay! I can't wait to spend the afternoon with you guys today.
ReplyDelete